Monday, February 25, 2008

Time to Nurture....

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness...." Matt 6:33a (NIV) - emphasis mine Where does the time go? It seems like it was just yesterday that I wrote my last Blog entry but now it's Monday and this is the first time I have been able to log on and write. I find the writing and sharing of my thoughts to be very therapeutic. There has a been a wonderful benefit to writing these entries - I am growing closer the Lord. Just by the effort of expressing my heart and researching the scriptures, my walk improves with Him. Unfortunately, I have allowed so many things to get in the way the last couple of days, not only with my blog with with my own personal quiet time with the Lord. The enemy makes everything else seem so much more important and allows me to rationalize and push aside my time with God. Not that I was doing anything immoral or sinful in a perverse way. I simply was living my life -- taking care of the taxes, helping my hubby with his resume, playing a mindless game on the computer, chasing my 4year old around after several rounds of breathing treatments, cleaning the house, etc. I have things to show for my efforts, so called "fruits of my labors" such as the high score on Peggle, a clean house, a completed resume for hubby, and a asthma-free kiddo. Needless to say, these things do not feed my soul nor cultivate my walk with the Lord. How often do we push aside our time with God saying we'll get to it later but we never do? That same type of mentality would not bode well with any other relationships we are privileged to have in our lives. Spouses, children, friends, family members, co-workers, etc would not be so understanding yet we feel that the God of the universe can somehow be okay with it? My take away this week is that I need to make time for Him everyday, several times a day. I need analyze what I am spending my time on that can be curtailed -- such as TV or computer games. Not to say the Lord has anything against me watching a "clean" show on TV or playing a stressful game of Peggle. What I am saying is that when it comes at the expense of our relationship then something must change. I want my attitude and my desire to be to spend time with Him first and all other activities come second. I think with this process, I will be more blessed and my heart and soul won't feel empty. I want to invite the Lord into all aspects of my life and activities. He is after all, my closest friend and my Heavenly Father. He is the most important relationship in my life and our interaction greatly impacts all others in my life. I am a better wife, mother, friend, leader, etc when I am closer to God. He is and should be the center of my universe. I need to make some conscious changes so that He knows and feels that too!! What changes do you need to make? We can do it together. I'll be praying for you and I ask that you pray for me. Dear Father - Please forgive me for allowing the routines of life to get in the way of our time together. I pray that you help me to pay close attention to our relationship and nurture it just as I do the other relationships in my life. AMEN Application:

  • Does the busyness of life preclude you from spending time with the Lord?
  • What things or activities can you cut out of your life in order to spend more time with Him?
  • Pray that the Lord will open your eyes to matters that don't really matter.
  • Pray for Him to help you organize your life to get more peace and do away with the clutter that impacts us all.

No comments: