Friday, March 14, 2008

Esteem one another

A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold. Proverbs 22:1 (NIV)- emphasis mine Each generation in this life has begged the question "what is the meaning of life?" and/or "what is my purpose on this earth?" I know I have asked these same questions and there are times that I have needed a refresher on what I felt my intended purpose was at that time. Since we are all used of God for His glory, our individual purpose or meaning of life in general could change depending on the season of life. Ultimately, however the main purpose of life and for our meer existence is to glorify the only one true living God - the great "I AM." But let's narrow it down a bit and discuss how we as individuals can be a representation of Jesus to those around us - to make them feel important, valued, appreciated and valid in the scheme of things. Often times things get so "heavy" that we need to be cared for and supported more than usual. I think it is a human characteristic and possibly even a genetic predisposition to NEED to feel useful, wanted and included. Our job as believers and non-believers alike should be to make sure that those closest to us know how much they are a part of who we are. We need to constantly ensure that they understand that our lives would be less without them in it. Jesus did not allow people at any level to feel unimportant. He touched those who were shunned by the community; those that were ill; sinners; children; those others felt were above reproach; fishermen, doctors, young and old; scholars and the uneducated, etc. Jesus loves each of these people, along with you and I unconditionally. We should share that same type of love with those around us, especially those close to us. Join me in caring for those around us and take a moment to encourage someone close to you today. You never know, it might be just the thing they need today. God can use small things to make a difference in a person's day and/or disposition. Not everything has to be a "Red Sea" experience to make a major impact. Let's change the world one person at a time... Dear Lord: Help me to be sensitive to others; help me to humble myself and place others needs before my own; remind me to encourage others and show my appreciation for the efforts of those in my life. AMEN Application:

  • Who do you need to encourage today? Who do you need to give a "pat-on-the-back?"
  • Pray that the Lord will show you how to humble yourself in order to make those around you feel valued. We all want to feel like we belong and are important.

No comments: