Sunday, March 9, 2008

Quiet Time

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1 (NIV) --emphasis mine All relationships including those with the Lord require individual attention and reflection. In the Christian community this is often referred to as "quiet time." There are as many schools of thought on the process as there are people. But the one I hear most often is to start your day with uninterrupted prayer and reading of God's Word. The reason behind it makes perfect sense as this is a great way to start one's day. How could one not be equipped to fight life's battles once they have put on the full armor of God and petitioned the Lord's assistance with the daily tasks that lie ahead? Well, that doesn't work too well for me. That would be my preference if all in my household, I am speaking of the 4 yr old asleep in the next room, would allow me to have a few minutes to myself in the morning. I have tried getting up an hour before he normally gets up but he seems to have some odd sense of "mommy-dar" in which he can sense that I am up for the day. However, this function of his genetic code seems to turn off at night. I find that I am able to take that needed time with the Lord late in the evening after he and my hubby are fast asleep. That is not to say that I get to do my Bible study at that time. I try to do that at the end of the day after he is in bed but there are times that I am able to accomplish it during the day. My "quiet time" is typically when I lay my head upon my pillow and begin to give praises to the Lord, then I repent of the many sins I committed during the day and then I bring my petitions for friends, family, myself and even strangers before the throne. The Lord and I seem to connect in the darkness and stillness - aside from the house settling and the quiet slumber of my hubby. It is comforting to know that all is well in our little world at that time. No night is the same with the Lord. Just like in a relationship with someone close, one does not do the exact same things all the time. There is a dialogue and give and take within the time together. My relationship and time with the Lord is no different than my other relationships except it is not a tactile process in which I can physically touch Him. But, that is not to say that I have not been touched by Him. Sometimes I come to the Lord and I am lulled to sleep as I pray for those in need. It is times like this that I feel the Lord bidding me come to sit upon his lap and allow myself to be enveloped in His arms. Once there, I feel so secure and comfortable that I can drift off into a gentle slumber. Sometimes He wakes me later in the evening with a thought or prayer. But nevertheless, He communes with me. Other times, I feel engaged by Him to ponder deep questions; praise Him; cry out to Him; thank Him; sit quietly and reflect with Him. It is at these times that I feel motivated and inspired to write. At these times with Him I am challenged to make changes or He provides me with direction on areas I am struggling with. But my least favorite thing to do is to deal with my "issues" and my sin with Him. He is so good about holding a proverbial mirror to my face and showing me who I really am. He reminds me that no matter what kind of mask I wear for everyone else, He knows me inside and out. There is nothing I can do that would cause Him to leave me nor forsake me. (Deut 31:6,8) He does however, encourage me in a parental fashion to deal with my "stuff" and make the necessary changes to become the person He intends for me to be. He is really adamant about not allowing me to be a martyr or to use my past as an excuse not to do something. As it says in the scriptures, "nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37) So, as I lay down tonight extremely tired and worn out after a long day and a time change to boot, the Lord decided I needed to spend more time with Him and I was not to be lulled to sleep just yet. He has given me a burden for something that I do not wish to deal with and can't understand why He has brought this issue that has been buried for years. It is an issue that I don't really have any feelings about -- or do I? In any event, the sleepiness has left me and I feel an overwhelming need to get out of bed. I also feel myself overcome with more emotion than I thought I could conjure in relation to this topic. I feel the Lord telling me to go back in my mind to my past and make some peace with some areas of my life that really impacted me. I feel okay with them and feel somewhat blessed in an odd way because my past, as the case with everyone, makes me who I am. I have a ministry based upon my past and I can relate to so many different people. Maybe the Lord is telling me that I need to minister to the little girl inside me so that she can truly let go and be really happy. Once that happens, I may be able to toss all my masks in the trash. Here goes.... pray for me!! Dear Lord - I am not sure why You do some of things that You do but I understand that there is reason for everything. I pray that You help me to be obedient to Your leading. I pray that You help me through the steps to heal my "inner child." After all, I don't want anything to hinder my growth in You, Lord Jesus. AMEN Application:

  • Do you have a quiet time? What does it consist of?
  • Is there something the Lord wants you to deal with in the present or the past?
  • Are you wearing a mask? What can you do to take it off forever?
  • Pray the Lord will help you remove all that hinders you.

No comments: