Saturday, December 27, 2008

Globes and God

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 (NIV)
Christmas has come and gone. Now we go through the unnecessary plunder we reaped from our family and friends. I was drawn to one particular gift that hubby received from his brother. It is a globe that rotates "magically" without the use of batteries or electricity. Upon further investigation (ie: reading the instruction manual), I found that it works by using a light source. It has to be a constant source of somewhat direct light that causes the magnetic type fluid to put the globe in perpetual motion. As is my nature, I tried to find a way to draw a parallel to the globe and my walk with the Lord. Wouldn't you know it, the Lord helped me to a wonderful and timely response! I was reminded that we too need a constant light source to be content and function as we were designed. In the case of Christians, that source is the Son of God - Jesus Christ - Our Savior. Apart from Him, we can not exist or even move forward. Sure, there are artificial forms of light that we attempt to put in our lives such as drugs, alcohol, people, work, and other endeavours. However, inevitably those sources will fail us and we too will begin to stop rotating. God tells us in John that He is the vine and we are the branches -- apart from Him we can do nothing. (John 15:5). In essence, we can attempt to thrive on our own and do things our own way but without the guidance of God and His guiding light, no amount of special fluids or magnetic fields will save us from ourselves. No amount of help from family, friends or any other means will satisify our souls. Our souls that cry out for fulfillment only found in our living God. So, the next time I look upon this globe, I will be reminded that God is my source of light and the only sustaining and constant power source on Earth for all peoples. Dear Father - I thank You for providing life applications to me in the most basic of things. I thank You for being my light source and keeping me moving in the path You have set forth for me. I thank You for the gift You gave us at Christmas time and all the year through. In the Precious Name of Jesus - AMEN Application:
  • Do you have a "light" source that keep you motivated?
  • Pray that the Lord will allow you stay firmly rooted with Him so that your branches will continue to produce fruit.
  • Take a moment to reflect on your actions to see if they truly are in line with what the Lord would have you to do.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Ooooooo now I want to see the globe! You and Pam are putting me to blogging shame. I have been feeling the urge to write though so who knows....maybe soon. :o) Thanks for being so blog dedicated I always enjoy reading your posts. Hugs,