Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thank God for Another Day

Life is hard. Just pick up the newspaper, watch TV, and/or just listen to those around you -- no one is immune to suffering, trials or tribulations. In my case, I just read the prayer requests that go out to the church and in my Sunday school class and the need is tremendous in my own back yard. To drill it down further, hubby and I wait daily for the proverbial hatchet to fall on his almost 10 year career in the tech industry. It's any wonder given the current state of the economy, this world, and our own nation that people don't lose hope. For those who believe in the eternal word of the Bible, we have hope. We find shelter from life's many storms. If you read through God's Holy Word, you will see that no one was spared from pain, loss, and sorrow -- yet God was and is still good. If anything, these times are bringing me closer to my Lord because across the spectrum, I see that I can't put all my trust in the government, financial institutions or even myself to carry me through to the next day. This life is fleeting but God promises to be the ONE true constant in our lives. He is the only ONE who will never let us down. He is the only ONE that will guarantee our security. (Deut 31:6,8; Joshua 1:5)

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut 31:6 (NIV)
The hard thing for a control freak like me is that I want to define security, success and failure on my terms. God however doesn't always share my interpretations but in the end I am always better off going His way. I can not sit here and tell you that the economy will rebound, that your house will be saved, that you will have a job by the end of the day, or that sickness will not strike close to you -- but what I can tell you is that God is good! HE is faithful! He will see you through any and all things that you are experiencing or that are coming down the pipe. Trust Him and you will see a difference in your attitude in the midst of the storm.
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)
As my friend Lori says -- "THANK HIM FOR ANOTHER DAY"!! If we all do that -- thank Him before we start focusing on all that is not right -- just thank Him that you have one more minute, hour, day, etc.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 (NIV)
Dear Father - By my standards, I may not have not much but in Your kingdom I am rich beyond measure. I want to thank You for another day! I pray that I can be used of You to make a difference. Please don't let me get caught in my circumstance and miss You in midst of the chaos. Thank You for being there when all else fails! In the Precious Name of Jesus. AMEN Application:
  • What are you or someone close to you going through at this time?
  • Have you taken your petition before the throne and asked for His guidance and peace?
  • Make a list of things/people/situations that you are thankful for and meditate over the list so that you can truly thank God for another day!
  • Ask Him to help you step by step as you walk on your journey -- all the while focusing on the blessings in your life.

No comments: