Friday, October 9, 2009

Reluctant Cleaning...

let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles Hebrews 12:1b (NIV)
Last month I set the goal for myself to clean out our spare bedroom and then move onto my son's room and have it completed by the end of Oct. At the time, my goal seemed very doable and not all out of the realm of possibility. I also made this goal when I was already neck deep in other responsibilities. Responsibilities far more extreme than a couple of room make-overs!! -- or so I thought. Well, here it is the 9th of Oct and the time has come to tackle my task. The problem is that I don't really feel up to it because now that I have started, I am overwhelmed with all the "stuff" we have shoved into this one small room. I am ashamed to say, but every inch of the room is stuffed with things I have long forgotten yet hold onto for some crazy reason. Now, I sit here typing and not cleaning because as usual God showed me something. I looked at all of these things and realized I don't need them and question why I even saved some of it. Others are truly sentimental in value, some are practical -- I mean what if we finally decide to sell that old cell phone from 2000? I do have the box and all the paperwork -- could be worth a lot more. I hate to admit it but I have turned into a bit of pack rat. I am afraid to look under the bed!!! What I fear more is entering my son's room because everything must come out for his new flooring to be installed. The "stuff" in there is more sentimental and as every parent knows, those dusty toys become "favorite" playthings when it's time to give them away.
At once they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20 (NIV)
Isn't that our nature to hold onto stuff a little longer than we should? I know I am guilty of drudging up old sins and reliving them in my mind and feeling conviction and condemnation over and over again. As long as I keep it around, Satan has a way of helping steer me towards thoughts that bring me down over and over again. Just as I need to throw out old boxes, sweaters and donate toys -- I need to finally realize that my past has been covered with the blood of Christ, no longer remembered and I am a new creation.
as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. Psalm 103:12 (NIV)
That is not to say the sin is actually forgotten as if I can't remember it, it means that the sin no longer has a hold on me. I take what I learned from that sin and apply it to my life to become a better person and my favorite, to keep me humble and close to the Lord. Nothing that happens in this life is any surprise to God. He will use what we bring to the table and use us if we are willing. I am trying to make peace with cleaning out the clutter in my closet, spare room and dare I say -- from under the bed but more importantly -- cleaning out the clutter in my life. What about you?? What do you say we start some deep cleaning, air out the place and make ourselves a place worthy of the Holy Spirit. I know I have a lot of work to do. Join me, won't you? Dear Father- Thank You so much for not giving up on me and teaching me lessons in my everyday life. I thank You that have forgiven me for the things in my past. I pray that You continue to grow me and mold me into the person You plan for me to be. In the Precious Name of Jesus - AMEN Application:
  • What kind of clutter do you have in your house (life) that you are holding onto?
  • If you have any -- why do you still have it?
  • Pray that the Lord will show you what is good to keep and what should be discarded (both literally and figuratively)

No comments: