Thursday, November 12, 2009

Lessons from the Laundry

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matthew 6:26 (NIV)
Doing the laundry at my house is always an adventure for me. Having a precocious 6 year and a forgetful hubby around proves to be profitable at times but also a little perplexing. Checking the pockets for Hubby means I may pull out a few bucks or shiny quarters to stash away for a little treat down the road. Whereas, Little Man's pockets are little different -- I really never know what I am going to find. The little fella used to be simply a collector of rocks and acorns sans their tops for a while and now I am finding an assortment of items from nature and from around the house. As I looked at my plunder from this morning's round, I found a small green spiky looking ball, a frequent shopping card from the local oil-change place and a small nautilus shell. To my complex mind I could find no reason why he would want all these things. So, I asked and he confidently told me -- "because I like 'em." Well -- I guess that's it!! I had completed my Bible study at our dining room table this morning and once I finished I proceeded to pull the table cloth back into place. As I pulled the fabric, the aforementioned treasure came rolling to the edge of the table. I picked up each piece up and held in my hand. I still didn't understand the allure but I did take a moment to study each one more closely just to make sure. Then it hit me -- I may not find beauty or value in these items but Little Man does. What seemingly appeared to be trash or cast-offs, were a bounty for my son. God then spoke to me and showed me this is what my life is like. While others in my life may not have seen value in me or even taken the time to get up close and personal with me, God in fact did and still does. As a result He will treasure me and I will be held in high esteem because the creator of the universe says it is so. The Bible is full of countless stories of those that have been cast-off, over-looked or under-valued. The Jews are God's chosen people yet they were enslaved for years but God never took His eye off them or put them in a corner only to be forgotten. (Exodus) How about when Job was told to curse against God because all that he held dear had been taken from him? All his friends and his wife counted his life as a loss and shared with him that he were better off dead that to trust in God, because after all -- look where it got him. (Job). How about a widow with no prospects for an inheritance or heirs? Naomi was left alone after the passing of her husband and two sons. With no heirs and no inheritance she would surely perish. However, her daughter-in-law Ruth stayed behind. These two seemingly insignificant women were guided by the Lord to show they too had significance. (Ruth) Also, the woman with the issue of blood -- she was the ultimate outcast in her society, yet she risked scrutiny and punishment for a possible encounter with Jesus - the healer. (Mark 5: 25-30) My favorite, the prodigal son comes back home after wasting his demanded inheritance. He comes home expecting to be treated lower than the servants, yet his father elevates him despite his past indiscretions. (Luke 15:11-31) And so on and so on....You and I can insert our story here.
In a desert land he found him, in a barren and howling waste. He shielded him and cared for him; he guarded him as the apple of his eye, Deuteronomy 32:10 (NIV)
God continues to provide for those of us today that have been forsaken, left behind, and forgotten. He also has his hand on those of us who through shame have tried to hide and shrink back from society and life because others just won't accept us or understand. God is still in the redemption business. Just as my little man's trinkets reminded me that we all have worth and value -- it may just be different variations based on who's hand we're in. I am reminded that as long as I look to God to find my value, no other opinions matter. To God, I am more precious than gold. That says a lot!! As a matter of fact -- that says it all! I KNOW that's that! Dear Heavenly Father --Thank You so much for keeping me in the palm of Your hand. Thank You for the value You find in me even when I am unable to see it much less get validation from this life. I thank You for the everyday things that bring me closer to You. I praise You for the life that You have allowed me to live. I pray that it be of great service to You and Your kingdom. In the Precious Name of Jesus - AMEN Application:
  • What kind of trinkets do you find valuable that others may not agree with? What do you see in them that appeals to you?
  • Take those characteristics and look closely at your life and see how God values them in you as well.
  • Pray that God will open your eyes to the simple things that reveal great mysteries if you will just take the time to examine the ordinary more closely.

1 comment:

Grandma Strickland said...

Very insightful. I value you highly - I hope you know that. Teresa, aka Grandma Strickland