Saturday, March 12, 2011

Corner Evangelist



Driving back from a birthday party with my little fella today, I decided to go out onto the busy roadway to make a stop at the local Target. Mind you, this was not my normal route and I routinely avoid this busy road at all costs. But, there at the corner of Insanely Crazy Blvd and What Was I Thinking Road, there was a man standing on the corner in a white dress shirt, tie and dress pants all complimented by a wide-brimmed hat. At first, I only saw him from behind and assumed the rather large sign he was holding was to advertise some local business or eatery. But as traffic continued to move (or not move) inches at a time, he turned around and I realized the large sign he was holding was of Heaven and Hell with supporting scriptures for both. As my little buggy inched ever so slowly towards the corner, I noticed another important detail. He was holding his Bible up to his head so as to keep his hat from blowing away but he was also quoting scripture very loudly.


I must admit that my first thought was "oh my, he just looks crazy." I didn't think much more about it until I was reading through Hebrews Chapter 10 tonight. I got to verse 33 that says

" Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution;
at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated." (NIV)

Granted, this was more about involuntary acts such as suffering, having everything taken from you, imprisoned for the cause of Christ. But, as I read that passage, the man from this afternoon came to mind and I realized that he was choosing to put himself on display to proclaim the name of Christ. And I, as a believer in Christ, was one to ridicule him in my own mind -- I wonder how others perceived him? Was he insulted? Unfortunately, I am sure he was as we seem to have a society made of folks that seek to demean others. Does he feel the hurt of the words, actions and/or gestures passersby bestowed upon him? How could he not since he is made with the same flesh, blood and feelings as the rest of humanity?

I must consider that this man has more fortitude than I to stand on this corner (or any corner for that matter) and put himself out there for all to see. I can honestly say, he was letting his light shine and not hiding it under a bushel. I wonder if maybe, just maybe someone saw or heard him today that needed to hear from the Lord or if someone was searching and maybe he just added a little more water to an already gestating seed or if someone else is out there just like me and realizes that man taught them a little something about humility. HMMMM???



Dear Father: Please forgive me for passing judgement on this man today. I pray that someone out there was touched by his message. I pray You help me to avoid being judgmental, even in passing. I thank You for bringing him to mind tonight as I read Your word. I thank You for speaking to me out of Your scriptures. In the blessed name of Jesus - AMEN



Application:
  • What kind of judgments do you inadvertently pass?
  • Do you let your light shine (as the children's song says) or do you hide it? Can others see Christ in you and your actions? What are you doing to proclaim the name of Christ?
  • Pray and ask the Lord to show you where you can be more effective for Him. Also, ask Him to help you see the times that you are being judgmental and to forgive you.

No comments: