Thursday, January 31, 2008

ALL things for HIS Glory

"Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer." Psalm 4:1(NIV) For those who know me personally they can tell you that quietness and sitting still is not something I am accustomed to. For one thing, I LOVE to talk. I can talk to anyone, anywhere, and about anything. When I was a little girl, I used to be embarrassed when my mom would talk to the other people standing in the grocery line. In my mind, what could they possibly talk about since they didn't know each other. Well, guess what??? I have become my mother!!! My husband laughs and shakes his head because we run into someone I know (or have talked to before) almost everywhere we go. Talking was not always a passion for me. As a child and into my teenage years, I was very introverted. My first job was working in a restaurant and I learned to talk with people and get to know them. I was "hooked" and have not been the same ever since. My hubby doesn't always think it is so great! But he is hanging in there with the help of selective listening !! But I digress. In college I majored in broadcast journalism. I never used my degree in that field but I learned more ways to talk and relate to people!! God seems to be using this trait for ministry in me as of late. Over the past couple of days, I have had some personal struggles and I have been seeking the Lord's guidance. I was praying very hard the other night and I realized I was doing all the talking and not waiting for HIM to get a word in to the conversation. The Spirit in me rose up and basically said, "I can't answer you if you don't let me speak." James 1:19 "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry" resounded so with my soul. Immediately, I humbled myself before him and repented. After that, I sat quietly and waited. Many of us are familiar with Psalm 46:10a (NIV) "Be still, and know that I am God." While researching this further, I found the NASB version says "Cease striving and know that I am God." How many hours and days do we spend "striving" to find the answers when all we have to do is to "sit still" and wait upon the Lord? The NLT says exactly that in Psalm 37:7 "Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act. Don’t worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes." Over the last couple of days, the Lord has taught me so many things. He can use anything for His glory!! I have grown closer to HIM just because of my searching for answers. Maybe, that was his reason. Maybe all this turmoil was "for such a time as this." (Esther 4:14b NIV) Thank you Abba Father for being there for me at all times. Please help me to hold my tongue and listen. Help me to "cease striving" and wait for you to answer me. Thank you for calling me one of your own, despite who I am!! AMEN Application:

  • When was the last time you spent time with the Lord and really waited for Him to respond?
  • Make time to sit quietly and reflect on a specific scripture and see what the Lord is telling you.
  • Are you going through something big or small, good or bad? Think of how the Lord may be using that for HIS glory? Drawing you closer to HIM gives him glory!!!

No comments: