Friday, February 1, 2008

Why do I do what I do?

"For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing"Romans 7:19 (NIV) Have you ever had one of those days in which you wish you could have stayed in bed? Not because you're depressed or sad but just because it's dreary outside, the bed is cozy, there is a good book or some extra sleep you want to catch up on. Would that be considered sin? I guess it could be categorized as slovenly or laziness. If you had things to do and you were sherking responsibility then it may be inconsiderate as others may have to pick up the slack. Why is that we want to do the things that do not sound too bad but when we look at the consequences of the actions then it doesn't always seem like such a good idea? Another scenario: maybe you're out shopping and you see this GREAT sale on a new designer purse. You really can't afford yet, you slap down the plastic to pay for it. You leave with your new treasure and figure you'll deal with the bill later on down the road. That is much like life and especially sin. We make decisions that seem to be harmless enough but yet somewhere down the road we have to pay for them. Paul spent quite a bit of time talking about this exact issue in the book of Romans. Our flesh and general make up are designed to sin but yet we are born to glorify God. The two facets of our body compete with one another and but can not occupy the same space. Satan has done a good job of making sin look and feel good. He has also helped society allow man to be able to relationalize and explain away the sin. The Lord knew what He was doing when we were brought into being. He gave us HIS word and a list of "rules to live by" or the "10 Commandments." Later, He sent HIS son to earth so that we could have redemption from sin and a way out to move away from our sin nature. Jesus' body left the earth but the Spirit was left to guide us. "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives." John 14:27ab (NIV). Do not follow the conditions the "world" has set forth. Continue to follow the prescribed "rules" given to us by our Heavenly Father, the examples set forth by Jesus and the conviction provided by the Holy Spirit that dwells within all believers. If we do this, our lives will better! Dear Lord - please continue to convict me of my sin and remind me of YOUR word and you ways so that I may not sin and fall away from YOU. Amen Application:

  • Are there things that you do that society accepts but yet you feel convicted by the Holy Spirit?
  • Pray that the Lord will show you HIS way for you to go through this life in order to be more godly person.
  • Pray for those around you to experience God's saving grace.

3 comments:

The Open Range Camping Family said...

Ok, so when I sent you that email, I had no idea you posted on Romans 7, how cool is that?

Paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paula said...

We must be in the same mindset lately!! See ya tomorrow.