Sunday, January 27, 2008

Unity and Peace

"...to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." Ephesians 4:12-13 (NIV) From as long as I can remember until I entered the corporate arena, I have been a "pleaser." That's just my makeup, my genetic code, my disposition, personality or whatever mantra society is tossing around these days. It wasn't until I entered the corporate arena in 1995 that I had to take on the role of taking control of situations and telling people "no." I must say this didn't sit too well with my perceived notion of "my place" in this world. However, after many years and several promotions later I became rather good at "standing my ground." I was no longer the push-over, yet that "pleaser" mentality remained down not too deep. I then found ways to use that part of my personality and I tried to avoid conflict by compromising. Compromising is supposed to be when all parties win. But, I have found that that is not always true. I have also come to the unpleasant realization that no matter how much I or anyone else tries, some situations no body wins especially when there is dissension among the group. Unfortunately, we have this same issue in the body of Christ just as it is rampant in the "world." Satan doesn't like cohesion. In my opinion, the most powerful allies Satan has in the Church is dissension and an unwillingness to let go of our pride. Ephesians 4:31-32a(NIV) says, "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another." Remember, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ and we should be working together to grow the Kingdom. I can say it no better than Ephesians 4:2-3 "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. " We should spend our time lifting one another up and keeping peace versus tearing others down for our own self-interests and motivations. Dear Father - Please be with me as I go through the day to be a point of unity and clarity to grow your kingdom. Please make me immediately aware of when I fall short. Thank you Lord, AMEN Application:

  • What is your personality style? Does it fit in with your ministry? Pray for God's guidance.
  • Do you have someone in which you need to make peace or amends with in the Church body?
  • Examine your motives for your actions and ask the Lord to make selfish and prideful motives apparent.
  • Pray for the church and the people in the church -- remember we all fall short of the glory of God.

No comments: