Monday, February 18, 2008

Seasons of life....

"My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life." Psalm 119:50 (NIV) During the ever-changing seasons of our lives, we experience and perceive instances differently each time. For instance, when I was 16 years old - a bad hair day, a new blemish smack-dab in the middle of my forehead and nothing to wear - all on picture day was enough to cause me to become a sobbing heap on the bathroom floor. I was sure that my life was over and that my picture was going to be so horrible and IT would be the topic of conversation around campus for many years to come. As a matter of fact I was probably so horrified that I more-than-likely begged my mother with every ounce of desperation to not make me go to school. Conversely, should that happen today, I would just put a hat on, dab on the concealer, and head to the mall to buy a new outfit. Oh and I should mention, I wouldn't have scheduled a picture day because as an adult I am no longer obligated to the yearly photo. Thank you very much!! Devastation and feelings vary from person to person and season to season. There are obvious times in which no amount of circumstances will take away the severity of the occasion, such as a death, major illness, divorce, etc. These times are ones that I personally have experienced firsthand. Through my ordeals, I found that it is normally better just to listen than to try to console someone in these cases. Being on the receiving end, typically I just wanted to be heard and have my feelings validated. Again we're back to the scripture of "....be quick to listen, slow to speak..." James 1:19b (NIV) My point is that feelings of desperation and devastation are really relative to what a person is going through at that moment in their life. We feel what we feel and no one can take that away from us. One thing that I can offer is that along with maturity comes life experiences that allow us to process and deal with situations along the way. We need to support one another and not try to minimize feelings. Validation is key for all of us. The Lord Jesus Christ is the One constant that can help us through any and everything at EVERY season of our life. He will always validate us through His love and support. He will not minimize the pain we feel as He too has felt what we are feeling and more. He also knows our hearts and knows where the pain is coming from. He will help us to find the "cut" and stop the proverbial bleeding so that the healing can begin. I still take my bleeding wounds to Him frequently for Him to bandage the area and comfort me like only my Abba Father can. He is an equal opportunity Father and He is there for you, for me, and for anyone that will open the door when he knocks. As it says in the scriptures: "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in...." Rev 3:20 (NIV) I am continuing to grow and gain those life experiences with each day. Everyone that has breath is evolving to the next level of maturity. I want to grow closer to Him so that I can detect His approaching the door and open it before He knocks!! Then, I want to walk so close to Him that I am walking with Him and there is no door. Those are my personal growth goals. What are yours?? Dear Father - Please help me in the times of devastation and chaos in my life. During those times that I am lending an ear to a friend in need, please help me to listen and be there for them. Please help me to grow closer to You and be available for whatever You have planned for my life. AMEN Application:

  • Are you going through a tough time in your life?
  • Pray that the Lord give you peace and comfort.
  • Take your problems and concerns (big or small) to the Lord and seek His guidance.
  • If you are not having problems, pray that the Lord allow you to help those that are.
  • What are your growth goals?

No comments: