Saturday, February 16, 2008

Treasures here on Earth

"In Him all the treasures of [divine] wisdom [comprehensive insight into the ways and purposes of God) and [all the riches of spiritual] knowledge and enlightenment are stored up and lie hidden." Col.2:3 (AMP) - (emphasis mine) My little fella is still under the weather. Fortunately, it's nothing serious but it is lingering a little longer than we like. If it were possible, our family would pull up the welcome mat, change the locks and close all the blinds to ensure this malady would just go away!! However, I have taken this time to treasure my little boy and his sweetness and neediness while he is sick. The Lord has blessed me with extended glimpses of a sweet baby, not just my "big boy." I can't believe how much I miss the baby years with him. Ironically, I remember thinking that phase would never end and now that it is over, I want a little more time. Isn't that how we are? We wish life away and then try to get some of it back when it's actually gone. Just as I miss my baby boy now that he's, in his words - "a big boy and not a baby," God misses us when we walk away from Him. He never forsakes us or leaves us. Being God, He is fortunate to be with us in all seasons of our lives. I am sure he likes it when he glimpses the "baby" in us when we ask for His help, seek Him and rely on Him. Consequently, I like to hold my son and take care of him. I am enjoying the fact that he will sit with me longer than 30 seconds and wants me near him constantly. I feel the Lord has the similar feelings for us but on a much more intense scale. I can't imagine what it would feel like if my son no longer talked to me, spent time with me or even cared about me. Unfortunately, we do this to the Lord on a continual basis because of our selfishness and blind ambition for something better. As I said earlier, we're in the habit of wishing away today and thinking that tomorrow is the treasure, when in reality the treasure is where we are if we'll just dig a little. I am trying to dig deep each day and look for a treasure in whatever comes my way each day. Some days are easier than others but I get blessed sometimes and He shows me a treasure in the midst of a hectic day that will redeem that moment in time for me. I hope that you will seek Him everyday and trust that there is a treasure in the moment if you'll just look. If you can't find it, ask the Lord for help. Afterall, He is the one who hid it and maybe, just maybe he wants to glimpse and spend a little time with His "baby" -- YOU!! Dear Father - thank you for taking care of me and allowing me to be needy at times and have you take extra care of me. Thank you for the treasures of this life. I pray that I take time to appreciate them everyday. AMEN Application:

  • Do you wish the days away only to find that things weren't so bad in retrospect?
  • Pray that the Lord will help you see the treasure of each day -- especially an appreciation for salvation (the ultimate treasure).
  • Thank the Lord for His provision, favor and LOVE!!

No comments: