Wednesday, February 13, 2008

No "Green Thumb" Here....

"Any branch in Me that does not bear fruit [that stops bearing] He cuts away (trims off, takes away); and He cleanses and repeatedly prunes every branch that continues to bear fruit, to make it bear more and richer and more excellent fruit." John 15:2 (AMP) One thing that can be said about me in which I won't argue is that I am no gardener. I lack any of the required green pigment in my thumb that those in the agricultural trade possess. It seems that I am not even able to do well with the "hearty" or "drought resistant" varieties of any type of plant. I must say that I have done pretty well by the silk and plastic plant group, unless you count the dusting issue. In any event, I wouldn't trust me to water your plants while you're on vacation. I say all of that to point out that I have had one minor success for those that understand the akalinity, soil mixture and blah, blah!! Triumphantly, I call this a MAJOR success since I don't even understand what I just wrote. In my backyard, I have a rose bush that my dear hubby gave me years ago. For some reason, it is still alive after several years and YES -- it blooms-- and often!!! I don't really remember to water it, as hubby has a sprinkler near by. But I do go out every so often and cut off the old blooms and dead sections. I get a little crazy from time to time and clip it all the way down to a basic nub. Ironically, my particular take on gardening works well for this little fella. Just when I think that maybe, just maybe I took off too much, a couple of days later I see a new bud and within a couple of weeks, I am rewarded with blooms all over it that take my breath away. Fortunately, the Lord does not care for us as I care for my plants. He lovingly comes along side us and at times we are just trimmed but at other times we are cut down to barely nothing. The Lord is consistent in His pruning and is in tune with our "growth cycle" and "nutrient needs." Personally, I am not that inclined to make myself available for pruning by choice, but oh how much better I feel after the old blooms, dead branches and disease have been cut away. I am learning that if I just wait there will blooms anew that will allow me to flourish and be fuller in Christ. His Glory will show through the fruits of His labor of love. Dear Father - thank you for taking care of me, even when that requires you to allow me to be pruned to the quick. Please continue to grow me to flourish in You and You alone. AMEN Application:

  • Are you in a season of growth or pruning?
  • What can you learn from your current condition in the Lord's garden?
  • Pray for Him to use you for HIS Glory!!

No comments: