Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pride -- who me?

"The arrogance of man will be brought low and the pride of men humbled; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day," Isaiah 2:17 (NIV) How many times do we find ourselves saying "at least I am not as________ as they are" when justifying our actions or sins. I know that I am guilty of that as well. We live in a society of comparatives. Women and young girls are constantly bombarded with ultra-thin models and magazine covers telling us how we can do everything better than we're doing it now. Men and boys are bombarded with cool toys that will get them more women and more acceptance. How often do you we think, "if I just had______ I would be fine."? The bottom-line is that we will never have enough if we follow the cultural thought process. All of that boils down to plain old-fashioned PRIDE. Dictionary.com defines pride as the following "a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect; self-esteem. " Kind of fits all of the above, doesn't it? Now there is nothing wrong with taking pride in your appearance, being proud of your children or your accomplishments. Where the issue lies is when we begin to think too highly or too little of ourselves in comparing aspects of our lives by worldly standards. When we put ALL the focus inwardly on us and not on God, we are violating His word about pride. According to the 3rd and 4th commandments, God and God alone should be our focus. We shall have no gods before Him and we are to make no idols for ourselves. (Exodus 20:3-5). Isn't that what pride equates too, making ourselves a god by focusing all of energies internally? The idols are all around us. Just turn on the TV, pick up a magazine or even look in the mirror. It is so easy to do and just like sin, it's easy to step into a small puddle but before you know it you're out to sea without a life raft. So, the next time you find yourself comparing in your life. Stop and ask the Lord to be with you and to change your thought life to count the blessing HE has given you and to show you the direction and place HE wants you to be in your life. Just remember, those with money are not always the happiest and those with all the trappings of luxury don't have it all together. The only thing in the world that will make one truly happy is the peace of having the Holy Spirit dwell within you. For those that are saved, please ask the Lord to be with you and help you with finding the peace that only HE can provide. If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior. I pray that you will pray this simple prayer right now. Dear Heavenly Father -- I confess that I am a sinner. I know that the only way to be cleansed and to find true happiness is by coming to the cross and asking Jesus to come into my heart. I am asking that Jesus save me and make me different than I was before. I pray that you forgive me of my sins and welcome me into your heavenly arms. In the blessed name of Jesus AMEN. That's it!! If you prayed that prayer and truly meant it with all of your heart. You are a new creation in Christ!! Welcome to the family. Continue to pray. I encourage you to find a local church in your area that can assist you with next step. I pray blessings on each of you today and thank God for all my spiritual brothers and sisters out there!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Pride... OUCH! It gets us all in trouble when we let it get in the way, doesn't it? Thank goodness we serve a Lord that still loves and will help us to do away with that pride.