Saturday, June 21, 2008

Can't is not a word!!!

I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who [a]infuses inner strength into me; I am [b]self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency]. Phillipians 4:13 (AMP) For the last couple of months I have found myself to be in the precarious predicament of becoming emotional over many things that normally I wouldn't bat an eyelash at. Not to say that I am a hard-hearted individual (or not as hard as I used to be) but tearing up is not usually in my repertoire unless it involves a REALLY sad love story. Two such movies -- Ghost or The Notebook come to mind and if you have seen these movies they would weaken the hardest of stoics in your life. But I digress! To give a little insight on why my recent reactions have been an little uncharacteristic. When my hubby and I were going through pre-marital counseling and we did a personality test, I was rated as being "indifferent." Now, being labeled as "indifferent" had no bearing on me and I agreed with the sentiment. After all, isn't that what being "indifferent" is all about? I must say that once I became a mother, my somewhat hard veneer was cracked by my little fella. God totally used him to disarm me and to ready me for a life of emotions set free. Now, just the sweetness of his actions or just watching him sleep will bring a tear to my eye. I am extremely vulnerable to any story or activity involving children. I find that I get teary eyed at graduations and church children's musicals that do not involve my own kiddo. I guess, it is because I can now relate to what is to come. Is this how God feels about us??? We cling to Him and need Him so much when we can't take care of ourselves or are in crisis. Yet, when life seems to be running smooth we take the wheel and declare our independence. Much like children do as they grow and move onto the next step in their life. A couple of months ago my pastor used an illustration of a man and his son that challenged all odds. This father gave us his dreams to make the dreams of his disabled son come to fruition. My pastor went onto use this duo as an example of God's love for us and His willingness to give everything for us. Here is a video of the two of them doing something the son wanted to do -- achieve his dream and in the process the dad grows stronger and the relationship is solidified. They become one and when you see one you see the other!! This is how the Lord wants our relationship to be with HIM. Everyone that sees HIM will see us and when they see us they see HIM. The kicker for me is to realize that the father simply does this for his son. Dad's reward is the look of joy and elation on his son's face. This brings the father satisfaction to have helped his son achieve a goal! They can't do it alone -- the son had the drive and determination and the father has the ability. Together they are one!! Grab a kleenex (or in my case a box) and enjoy!! Here is the link to the Hoyt fellas and their story!! I know that God is removing my label of indifference and is making me a new creation (2 Cor 5:17) complete with compassion and a tender heart. I could never have done this on my own and it is not even something I knew I wanted or even needed until God gave it to me! He's so great and knows exactly what we need at all times! (Matt 6:8b) So the next time, you think you CAN'T do something -- know that in your power you are not able to do anything but GOD CAN do all things! (Phil 4:13) Dear Lord - Thank you for such an inspiration! Thank you for allowing me to see a example on Earth of YOUR love for me and YOUR willingness to help me to achieve whatever is set before me! Thank You for loving me and helping me to become the person You want me to become! Thank you! Thank you!! Please the Hoyt's and all those who are touched by their story. In the precious name of Jesus - AMEN Application:

  • What aspect of your life do you need to remove CAN'T from?
  • Be open to the leading of the Spirit and allow Him to work in your life to possibly change you for the better and possibly in a way you never imagined.
  • Pray that the Lord will show you the way and in most cases - run with you on the race marked out before you!

1 comment:

The Terrell Tribe said...

Hey Paula! It's nice to read your blog. Isn't funny how changed we are by motherhood? Thanks for all your help and for sharing the insights on this blog that the Lord is sharing with you! You can read mine at www.theterrelltribe.blogspot.com.