Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Learning from kiddos!!

"He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matt 18:2-4 (NIV) Ever since I "quit" working (which translates to do more without receiving a monetary payment), I have kept myself pretty busy. My friends at work joked that it would be a matter of time before I took over the PTA or some other organization. That may in fact be my destiny but fortunately for the local PTA groups, my little fella is not old enough to attend public school as of yet. I guess the flip-side is that with our decision to home school, I am in essence running the PTA for my school. So, I am not only the P but the T and also the A! But, I digress as I often do. My church has provided me so many places to get involved and in the meantime, get "plugged in." One of my areas in which I am involved is in the women's ministry. I have many "official" roles and then I have lots more that I just take upon myself. This week I have put my women's ministry responsibilities to help out with VBS. My role this year is not one of a teacher (I did that the last 2 years), yet it is one helping with registration. I think the organization aspect works for me. I am able to take breaks and even go help other departments and as I do either of these, I stop in and look and listen to what the kiddos are doing. It amazes me the level of their love for God at such a seemingly young age. They are adamant about learning their Bible verses, bringing their friends with them and getting all the hand motions correct to the praise and worship songs. Since everyone reading this is aware that by now I am on an emotional roller coaster with frequent stops on teardrop falls!! Being around these sweet children and realizing the potential impact these days may have on them and their walk with the Lord, my heart swells with pride in each of them, big and small. They all inspire me to see that VBS may be 1 week during the summer but I can have a VBS state of mind all year. By that I mean, I should be diligent about studying and memorizing scripture verses; I should want to bring my friends not only to church but to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ as their Savior; I should be conscience of the things, motions, words etc that I use to express my form of worship. For those that have heard me sing, they would probably agree that it is probably not a good idea for me to focus all my praise and worship attention on just singing!! I just want to say to all the children attending our VBS, that you all encourage me and show me what it means to be a Christian - to be excited about Him, share Him and praise Him each and every day!! Dear Lord - Thank you for having a multitude of ministry opportunities to reach everyone!! VBS is intended to reach children but it also can and does reach adults. Thank you for using this week to remind me what the basics of life are all about -- YOU!! I pray that each of the teachers, the attendees and their families come to know You and carry on with their enthusiasm. In the name of Jesus - AMEN

No comments: