Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Grandma Daisy

"And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son,(daughter) whom I love; with him I am well pleased." Matthew 3:17 (NIV) As I write I am keeping a vigil beside my 95 year old great grandmother's bed. She went into a coma on Saturday evening and was placed on life support. I received a phone call on Sunday right after church about her condition and immediately began to pack. My mother, little man and I all headed up to NC to be with her in her last hours. We arrived on Monday morning and by this time Grandma had been placed on a ventilator (life support) which was against her wishes. The family in the area decided to put on the life sustaining measure so that those of us FL could make it to say good-bye. My brothers and their children also made the trip so all 5 generations had the opportunity to say our good-byes. She was removed from life support this morning around 1030am and she is still with us. It is now between her and the Lord as to when she goes home to be with Him. Grandma and I talked pretty frequently and over the years she expressed her desire to go be with our Lord. At the end of each of our calls, she would say her "good-bye" to me and told me how proud she was of me and the life that I have with the Lord. Let me say, this means more to me than most anything. As a child, she and my great-grandpa were the pillars of the community and the backbone of their church. My brothers and I felt akin to "rock stars" when we visited because all the other kids wanted to have them as their grandparents. Some of my fondest memories of my youth are of time with the two of them. They were the role models God placed in my life to show me how to be godly and to have godly counsel. Over the years, I she was the one I wanted to make proud and would often discuss life-changing decisions with her and seek her advice. She will be missed by me and there will be a hole that no one else an fill. (unless the Lord sends some one else in her place). I am so thankful that the Lord chose me to be the recipient of such a great grandma!!! She is a great role model in life and now in her passing from this world. I don't know when the Lord will chose to take her home but I pray that He does so in a peaceful manner. I will continue to update my post to include the events of the coming days. Please pray for my family and offer Praise for Grandma Daisy as she is about to get her treasure in Heaven!! I am so excited for her to have a homecoming. I am sure my Grandpa Carl and those friends and family that have gone before will be there to welcome her along with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!!

1 comment:

Dana said...

Hey - I was hoping you would post an update, I didn't want to call on your cell phone and bother you while your with your grandma. I'm praying for you and your family :) Please keep me posted! I'm thinking about you.

Tell your little man he didn't miss anything today because of rain and thunderstorms :)