Saturday, August 23, 2008

Shop Less! - ME???

Yet I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay. Psalm 40:17 (NIV) The Internet is a dangerous thing, especially for us obsessive-compulsive types - just another "thing to do." I have recently joined Facebook. As a matter of fact, it has only been 6 days but I feel like a veteran already. I have been in touch with friends and classmates that I haven't seen in months or even years. Isn't it funny how we have evolved to the point where we can no longer stay in contact unless we are wired? Whether it be email, cell phones, texting, blogging, twittering, IM, etc, etc, etc., we have somehow as a society bought into the lack of actual physical and voice contact with one another. Is that we are just too busy? I know in my case, I do not work outside the home yet I am busier than I can remember when I worked. I have often thought, "I don't know how I got all this done when I worked." I may not remember but I must have gotten it done. What are we doing all day if I am not actually in contact with people?? Scary huh? God gave us the NEED for certain things in our life. Those being items that necessitate our possession in order to continue to thrive. Not one of those attributes included technology. I am a BIG fan of technology mind you as I have become extremely accustomed to not only my PC, cell phone and IPOD but I don't know what I would do with my DVR!! (perish the thought). What I often fail to think about is the many, many people around the world who have sooo much less and only have the basics. The basics I speak of are food, water and touch. I can't imagine how people do with so little but they do. Friends of mine who recently returned from a mission trip to Uganda can attest to this. The folks they ministered to had the joy of the Lord and little else to sustain them. Clean drinking water, some rice and a relationship with Christ is how many of these folks make it day in and day out. We are spoiled here in our country. I know that I often confuse a NEED with a WANT. In my mind, I NEED everything but in reality I WANT for nothing! Pretty sobering and humbling to think on that for a moment. So, the next time I think I NEED to pick up something at the store, I should stop and ask myself -"is it a NEED or a WANT?". There are so many around us in our own country and abroad that don't even have the option to ask that question. Dear Lord -- Thank you for plenty you have given me. I pray that You show me how to reach others to help meet their actual NEED. I pray that You work with me to WANT less and rely more on You. I thank You for Your Word and what it teaches me. I pray for those that NEED and do not have. AMEN Application:

  • What do you feel you can't live without?
  • Do you feel you have all you NEED? Do you feel your WANTS are actually NEEDS?
  • Pray the the Lord will open your eyes to focus and rely on Him as the provider of your needs! Pray that He show you how to help others that are in real NEED.

No comments: