Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's all about people.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.Cor 12:27 (NIV) Today I was taught or should I say reminded of why each of us is on this Earth. We're all here to help one another to make it through all life throws at us. Let's face it - we wouldn't be anywhere without our family, friends or other support system. We're inherently designed to need others. Human beings don't function well alone. Well, I mean we can do what we need to get by but in the end we'll end up a little coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs. Case in point, did you ever see the movie Cast Away? Every time I see a soccer ball, I feel like I've run into an old friend. (I digress..) My point is that in the busyness of trying to make things happen, meet deadlines, organize ministries, events, and even handle our own lives, something happens and these tasks can evolve into a "business" or "job" versus just giving of ourselves for the greater good. In between the checklists, spreadsheets, seating charts and financials, everyday people like you and me are there just begging for someone to take notice of their plight. Just like with my little fella -- if I don't pay him enough attention I can tell a difference in his behavior and even his attitude towards me and others. When I get to focused on tasks and resolve myself to getting to park tomorrow, inevitably "tomorrow" never comes as it is crowded out by yet another item on my "to do" list. What I am trying to say is that people are hurting out there. We should be sensitive to the needs of others, especially in ministry. If we are not letting those in our church family feel our love and support, where else will they get it. God asks us to be the hands and feet of Jesus. I think that He would much rather we spend time with a friend in crisis, making a meal for a new mom, caring for child so mom can have a break, praying for one another, mowing the elderly neighbor's lawn and so on. Ministry doesn't haven't to be structured or organized all the time. It doesn't even require tools for the most part -- you just need a willingness to serve, ears to listen and strong arms to hold. For those that I personally have forsaken in the busyness of ministry or the just the business of life, I want to offer a heartfelt and sincere apology. I pray that you forgive me for any way that I may have hurt you. Thank you all for being my friends. Dear Lord - I want to thank you for bringing people back into focus for me as the reason we do ministry. I pray for comfort and healing for my friends and family. Be with us all and show us how to be your hands and feet. AMEN

No comments: