Sunday, October 5, 2008

Bath TIME!

A funny thing happens to me at this time of the morning (it is 12:43am et by the way)-- I get inspired. At 10pm, I was so tired that I was having a hard time focusing on the antics of the Mythbusters before turning in for the evening and here it is almost 3 hours later and I am still awake. I did in fact go to bed and attempt to sleep but as usual, my mind started it's own internal dialogue including ideas for books to be written, monologues to pen, rants to get off my chest, diary entries too personal for the Blog to be written in my journal, etc. Well, tonight was no different, yet I changed venues to the spare bedroom so as not to disturb hubby. I picked up my Bible and turned to where I left in my reading through the gospels. At this particular point, I am in the book of Mark. Typically, I like to read at least a chapter a day of whatever book I am reading in the Bible. I feel it gives me context and yet is not too much that I don't take time to really meditate and digest its meaning in my life. Well, this evening I began in Mark 6:1-6. -- The chapter is significantly longer but something impacted me in those brief sentences. Below I have copied them... 1Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. 2When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed. "Where did this man get these things?" they asked. "What's this wisdom that has been given him, that he even does miracles! 3Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph,[a] Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him. 4Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown, among his relatives and in his own house is a prophet without honor." 5He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. 6And he was amazed at their lack of faith. I have read this passage of scripture numerous times, yet this time it struck me and caused me to really look at myself and my thought process. How often do we judge someone based on what we already know about them? Case in point, Jesus returned to His hometown. The same place He played games in the dusty streets as a young boys. The same town in which He attended the Synagogue and worked and worshipped along side the people. The same place that He grew from an infant to a grown man. These people knew Him but they didn't really know "HIM." They saw and remembered Him as one of their own. He was a carpenter like His father and His father's father. There was nothing out of the ordinary about Him and now THIS. I have run into people from my past and they are surprised that I am as involved in ministry as I am and that I am living the life that I do for Christ. Some are shocked at the proclamation of my faith. Because, they knew me "when." They saw me in my sin. Some of them even joined me in the pig sty and were wallowing right there with me. In some cases, some of them are still there and can't understand why I got out. God sent Jesus to this Earth to be a human being just like you and me. He suffered all the things that you and I go through. He had His heart broken, He was beaten, He was forsaken, He was betrayed, He was ignored, He was falsely accused, He was ... you name it. He felt it and He still feels it. Those closest to Him, didn't really know Him and if they had they would have embraced Him as one prophesied as the Messiah. But, they missed the blessing that He had for them because they would not believe. We have to have faith in one another. We have to believe and understand that God can and will change any of us. He can and will pick us up from the muddiest, deepest, bug-infested pit that we can find. Once we are redeemed, He will gently hold us and wash us clean with the blood of the lamb Jesus Christ. After our "bath," He will clothe us in the robes of righteousness and outfit with the armour of God. So, the next time we see "So and So," and we start to think -- "there is no way that he/she has changed = a leopard can't change his spots," we need to stop and search our hearts and remember what our lives were like before we bowed the knee and asked the Lord to make us a new creation in Him. Miracles happen -- God is in the miracle business. I am one of those examples and so are you! Dear Lord - Thank you so much for bringing this passage alive to me. Praise You for showing me that Your word is relevant to even little ole me. I pray that you keep me from judging others, especially those that you have called to be one of your own. Thank you for the grace that saves ALL wretches not just those that do "this or that." In the precious name of Jesus - AMEN Application:

  • What has God saved you from? Take a moment to give Him praise and thank Him for His mercy and Grace.
  • Are you using your past to reach those around you? If not, pray that the Lord will open doors for you.
  • If you are not sure that YOU know Jesus - -Pray to accept Him as your Lord and Savior - It easy and life changing - Just Admit that you're a sinner, Believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins and rose again, Confess that Jesus is the Lord of your life. - Ask him to come into your heart and make you a new creation. If you prayed this prayer - please email me and I will send you some information on how to begin your new life as a Christian.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hi Paula! I loved this one too! Very well written! Keep 'em coming girlfriend, you have a gift.