Sunday, October 12, 2008

Yep - you're on the mission field!!

" Therefore go and make disciples of all nations...."(Matt 28:19a NIV) This post marks a milestone of sorts -- my 100th post. I started blogging with the intent of posting something inspirational every day. But let me tell you, that became a little daunting shortly after I began my endeavor. Then I changed my outlook and focus and realized that I could only write when I had something of value to add to the blogging community. Granted not all that I have written is really valuable but at least some of you have commented on a decent read. I must say that I do not take any credit for any of the spiritual content -- that is due to the Lord God and HIM alone. I am not that smart, especially when it comes to theology. I can talk about just about anything but when it comes to scripture, I have to lean on the Lord and His guiding. This post is no different than my others. This post was inspired by this weekend at my church. We had our missions celebration in which we highlighted various missionaries and their work this weekend. I must say that I have not been too interested in missions in the past and was content to make a missions giving commitment and keep that. It was easy to write a check and just sit back and let others "do" the work. I took away many things this weekend but the one thing that struck me the most was that we are all missionaries no matter where we are in this life. Like most folks, I thought of missionaries as people in the bush of Africa working with tribes while living in huts with no running water. Over the years, I have seen different types of missions that don't even involve leaving the comfort of my own country. This past week, I was challenged to just "go" forth and spread the news of Jesus to everyone, not just those on the other side of the world. I was challenged to think of my life as a missionary at all times. Do I reach out to my neighbor?-- I mean my next door neighbor? Do I reach out to those in need at the store? Do I share the love of Christ by being His hands and feet all around me? Is my heart in sharing Jesus with others? In reality, being a Christian is the same as being a missionary if we would just analyze our life and the way we live it. This is a hurting world and those of us in Christ have the answer for the peace that people seek in drugs, alcohol, work, chasing worldly goals, trying anything to fill that empty hole in the hearts, and so on. Many of us can name our so-called poison before we trusted the Lord as our Saviour. I know that I had a closet full of them and didn't rely on just one to attempt to dull my pain. And with that we can use our pasts to help those around us -- to be missionaries to the hurting and needy in our own lives. I am sure all of us know someone that needs HOPE. Well, you my friend - may be the key to the answer. God may be using you to make a difference to others. I know He has used me on an occasion or two and how humbling that is but I do so want to be used more!! Do you? So, what do you say? You and I can be missionaries in our own backyard, street, within our families, school, job, and so on! God can use you and me anywhere if only we allow Him to do so. Are you ready? I am!! Let's do it together and make a difference one person at a time. Dear Father - Thank you so much for those people that have given their lives, time, money, and their plans to serve you to reach others in the name of Christ. Thank you also for showing me that every where I look is a mission field. I pray that You equip me to do Your will and make a difference in the lives of others. Give me a boldness and bravery to follow Your plan for my life. In the precious name of Jesus - AMEN Application:

  • How do you share your faith and the good news of Jesus with others?
  • Do you view your world (local and international) as a mission field?
  • Pray that the Lord will lead you to have the boldness to share your faith and bring others to Christ.

No comments: