Sunday, March 21, 2010

Roar Away!

"Simon, Simon, (Paula, Paula or insert your name)
Satan has asked to sift you as wheat.
But I have prayed for you, Simon,(Paula)
that your faith may not fail.
And when you have turned back,
strengthen your brothers."
Luke 22:31-32 (NIV)
parenthesis mine
What a week my family has had. Ironically, this passage of scripture came up in my Bible study on Wednesday of this past week and I earmarked it as a good passage to share with someone in my family that was in dire need of comfort. Turns out later that day and into the next, it applied to me as well. Isn't that just like God -- to speak to us and give us what we need before we even ask for it!?!
During this past week, each member of my immediate family -- parents, brother, sister-in-law, nieces and nephews, along with my very own hubby and myself were impacted. On Wednesday, my mother ended up in the hospital due to complications with COPD. My brother had some unfortunate news that will impact his family for the next year or so thusly putting them in a precarious situation that calls for significant faith in God. As my family made it through Wednesday, I wept for each of them and asked God to be with each of them and offer comfort and peace. Little did I know that my very own little bubble was about to encroached upon. As I sat with my mother at the hospital on Thursday morning, my dear hubby called to let me know that he was let go from his job. Mind you, I do not work outside the home and my hubby is the sole provider for our family. Overwhelmed is the only word I can use to describe how I felt at that moment. Conversely, though I felt overwhelmed, I also felt and still do feel a sense of peace and comfort.
Can't really explain it except to say that I know that God is in the middle of this storm that my family is experiencing. Just the fact that I was presented with healing scriptures, including the one above, prior to the proverbial "bottom falling out" is a clear indication that my God loves me and HE loves YOU too!
Be self-controlled and alert.
Your enemy the devil prowls around
like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
1 Peter 5:8 (NIV)
In this same Bible study that I am doing, the lesson this week is dealing with Satan lurking around like a roaring lion. It talks about how if we are not careful we may not hear the lion because his roaring just becomes part of the background noise in our life -- something constant thus we can tune it out but still be impacted by it. For example, for person's like myself that live near a train track, after a period of time, we no longer hear the train whistles in the distance, yet folks that visit us can clearly hear them and may be bothered by them. It's not that we don't hear the sound, it just becomes "natural" and we only notice it when it is pointed out to us or (the key) if we are really paying attention. We must be on constant alert with Satan.
And hope does not disappoint us,
because God has poured out his love
into our hearts by the Holy Spirit,
whom he has given us.
Romans 5:5 (NIV)
emphasis mine
I know that Satan is roaring, oh so loudly, right now. I am still excited about going on my mission trip to Botswana in a little over 2 months. I tingle with the thought of what My GOD is going to show me over there. I know that He will provide for me. I know that HE will take care of my brother and his family. I know that He will be with my mother as she continues to heal. That lion can roar all he wants -- he will not steal my joy! That's the difference between the new creation I have become because of the saving grace of Jesus Christ and the person was before -- I have HOPE!! (2 Cor 5:17) Do you?
Dear Heavenly Father - Thank You for showing me Your word before the need presented itself. I thank You for being with my family during whatever Satan throws at us. I know Satan is not happy with what You are doing in our lives but through it all You will be glorified! May You be with each member of family and meet them where they offer as You provide comfort, healing and guidance. For it by Your grace we all are healed. In the Precious Name of Jesus - AMEN
Application:
  • What are you going through at this moment? Nothing is too big for God -- take it to Him and He will meet you there. If you just look around, He has probably already prepared you for it.
  • Have you read scripture(s) that you think applies to others but not yourself? If so, pray and ask God to show if the scripture does in fact speak to your current or upcoming circumstance. God's Word never returns void.
  • Pray! Pray for your family. Pray for your friends. Pray for your country? Pray for yourself. Pray for protection from the lurking lion and that you may be aware of his roaring!

No comments: